and, but, or, so, nor, for, yet, then
- You, he and I are in the same class.
- He is rich, but he is not happy.
- Do you like yellow or red?
- Mary cheated on the exam so she got a zero.
both … and … 二者都, either … or … 二者之一, neither … nor … 兩者皆不, not only … but also … 不但…而且…
- They have both the money and the time.
- Either you or I have to finish the work.
- I can neither read nor write.
- Not only the teacher but also her students like the movie.
對等連接詞是連接對等關係的詞、片語、子句，如and / or / because / so... 作用在將兩個句子連結起來，以形成一個「合句」。就是一個包含了兩個子句的長句，強調兩個句子之間的邏輯關係。
- That the earth is round is true.
- That I love you is true.
- Don’t tell the others that I am going to Taipei next week.
- I am not sure if he will come tomorrow.
- I am not sure whether he will come or not.
- Tell me whether or not I should invite him.
疑問副詞 when, where, why, how
- When you come visit me is important to me.
- This is where we used to play.
- Why he divorced her doesn’t matter.
- Never ask people how old they are.
表示時間 when, while, before, after, as, till, since等。
- We will eat when he comes back.
- Finish your breakfast before you go to school.
表示地點 where, wherever等。
- He is very happy where he is now.
- You can go wherever you like.
表示原因 because, as, since等。
- Because it rained, I stayed at home yesterday evening.
- Because I was sick yesterday, I didn’t do my homework.
表示狀態 as, like, in the way等。
- The conditions are as follows.
- He behaves in the same way I used to.
表示目的 so that, in order to等。
- I must finish the report so that I can go on a trip.
- They must have worn gloves in order not to leave any fingerprints.
表示結果 so … that等。
- The computer is so expensive that I can't buy it.
- I arrived early so that I got a good seat.
表示條件 if, unless等。
- If it is fine tomorrow, we will go jogging.
- If it rains tomorrow, Jim will stay at home.
表示讓步 although, though, while等。
- Though he is old, he still has to work.
- Though she hid the key in the drawer, we still found it finally.
表示比較 than, as...as, the...the等。
- She is more beautiful than Mary.
- The more I read, the more I found this book interesting.
先行詞 主格 受格 所有格 人 who whom whose 物 which which * 人/物 that that *
- This is the teacher who teaches us English.
- This is the dog which always causes trouble.
關係代名詞 what, whoever, whatever 兼有前述詞與關係代名詞的作用，成為複合關係代名詞，使用時，前面不另加前述詞。
- This is not what I want = This is not the thing which I want.
先行詞前面有特別修飾語時，須用關係代名詞 that，而不可用 who 或 which 等。
- Jim was the first man that I fell in love with.
- This is the same watch that I have lost.
- All the books that talk about socialism are sold out.
- Everything (that) he touched became gold.
從屬連接詞只能連接子句，如however / therefore / nevertheless / on the other hand... 是具有連接詞功能的副詞，通常用來轉折語氣，以強調上下文的關係，但並不是真的將兩個句子連結成一個合句。